I have been a part of Ege University, International Computer Institute as a
research assistant since 2004. Meanwhile, I am a visiting postdoctoral researcher at European Centre for Living Technology (ECLT)
of Ca' Foscari University of Venice in Italy.
Prior to that;
I was a postdoctoral researcher in the
Imaging and Vision Laboratory (IVL) at Department of Informatics,
Systems and Communication of the University of Milano-Bicocca between 03.2017 and 03.2018. In IVL, I have worked on
segmentation and semantic segmentation of food images for automatic dietary monitoring.
I obtained my Ph.D. degree in Ege University, Turkey,
under supervisions of Prof. Bülent Sankur
and Prof. E. Turhan Tunalı .
I mainly investigated model-based visual dictionary techniques for image understanding applications
in my thesis and I held a visiting position in BUSIM laboratory at Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department of Boğaziçi
University, Turkey, for two semesters during my Ph.D. studies.
With the emphasis on the areas of computer vision and machine learning, my current
research interests focus on developing algorithms for semantic segmentation.
I have also lately been interested in developing computer vision based solutions for cultural heritage problems.
- [11/2018] !! NEW !! We are organizing the CHAOS challenge
which will be held in The IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI)
on April 8-11, 2019 in Venice, ITALY.
- [10/2018] I will serve as an Editorial Board member for
- [10/2018] I presented our paper Ancient Coin Classification using Graph Transduction Games
at IEEE International Conference on Metrology for Archaeology and Cultural Heritage .
- [10/2018] I was invited to
Institute of the National Research Council of Italy CNR in Pisa
to give a seminar on Graph Transduction and Model-driven Visual Dictionary Construction with Applications
in Ancient Coin Classification and Computer Vision.
- [05/2018] I moved to Venice to join the group of
Prof. Marcello Pelillo in ECLT as a visiting postdoctoral researcher.
- [05/2018] I gave a seminar on Visual dictionaries and Semantic segmentation with DCNNs
at Dokuz Eylül University, Electrical & Electronics Engineering Department, İzmir.
- [03/2018] I will be presenting our paper at the special session of
Signal Processing Technologies for Gastronomy, Food Analysis, Nutrition and Dietetics of
SIU 2018 .
- [01/2018] I gave a seminar on the topic of
Image understanding: Visual dictionaries and Semantic segmentation at
European Centre for Living Technology (ECLT)
of University Ca' Foscari of Venice, Italy.
- [11/2017] I gave a seminar on the topic of
Exploring visual dictionaries: A model driven perspective at the Faculty of Science and
Technology of University Paris-Est Créteil (UPEC), Paris, France.
- [09/2017] Our paper is accepted to be published
in JVCI !
- [09/2017] I presented our paper
at MADiMa 2017 .
- [03/2017] I moved to Milano to
join IVL team!
- [10/2016] My office hour for students who attend to
"UBİ 543/UTİ 543 Secure Web Design" and "UBİ 627/UTİ 557 Research Techniques and Ethics"
courses is on Wednesdays, between 14:00-15:00.
- Aysen Degerli, Sinem Aslan , Mehmet Yamac, Bulent Sankur, Moncef Gabbouj, Compressively Sensed Image Recognition, The 7th European Workshop on Visual Information Processing (EUVIP), 2018. [In press]
- Sinem Aslan, Sebastiano Vascon, Marcello Pelillo, Ancient Coin Classification Using Graph Transduction Games, 4th IEEE International Conference on Metrology for Archaeology and Cultural Heritage, 2018. [In press]
- Sinem Aslan, Gianluigi Ciocca, Raimondo Schettini, Semantic Food Segmentation for Automatic Dietary Monitoring, IEEE 8th International Conference on Consumer Electronics - Berlin (ICCE-Berlin), 2018. [In press]
- Sinem Aslan, Gianluigi Ciocca, Raimondo Schettini, Semantic Segmentation of Food Images for Automatic Dietary Monitoring Systems, 26th IEEE Signal Processing and Communication Application Conference (SIU), 2018. [Slides]
- Sinem Aslan, Ceyhun B. Akgül, Bülent Sankur, E. Turhan Tunalı, Exploring visual dictionaries: A model-driven perspective, Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 49, pp.315-331, 2017.
- Sinem Aslan, Gianluigi Ciocca, Raimondo Schettini, On Comparing Color Spaces for Food Segmentation, New Trends in Image Analysis and Processing – 19th Int. Conf. on Image Analysis and Processing (ICIAP). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 10590. Springer, 2017. [Slides] [Poster]
- Sinem Aslan, Mehmet Yamaç, Bülent Sankur, A DCT-based multiscale binary descriptor robust to complex brightness changes , 24th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO), ISBN: 978-0-9928-6266-4, at Budapest, Hungary, 2016.
- Sinem Aslan, Ceyhun B. Akgül, Bülent Sankur, E. Turhan Tunalı, A novel study on developing a model-driven visual dictionary , 24th IEEE Signal Processing and Communication Application Conference (SIU), pp. 2081-2084, 2016.
- Sinem Aslan, Ceyhun B. Akgül, Bülent Sankur, E. Turhan Tunalı, SymPaD: Symbolic Patch Descriptor , 10th Int. Conf. on Computer Vision Theory and Applications (VISAPP/VISIGRAPP), ISBN: 978-989-758-089-5, pages 266-271, at Berlin, Germany, 2015.
- Sinem Aslan, Ceyhun B. Akgül, Bülent Sankur, Symbolic feature detection for image understanding , Proc. SPIE 9024, Image Processing: Machine Vision Applications VII, Vol. 902406, doi:10.1117/12.2040783, at San Francisco, United States, 2014.
- Sinem Aslan, E. Turhan Tunalı, Joint compressive video coding and analysis With Hidden Markov model based weighted reconstruction, 21st IEEE Signal Processing and Communication Application Conference (SIU), pp. 1-4, 2013. [IEEE Best paper candidate]
- Bahar Karaoğlan, Sinem Aslan, Erdem Karayer, The Zipfian distributions on term×document matrix , 1st Int. Conf. on Analysis and Applied Mathematics (ICAAM), Vol. 1470, No. 1, pp. 247-250, 2012.
- Sinem Aslan, E. Turhan Tunalı, A comparative study of compressed sensing video encoding GOP patterns for stereo distributed video coding , 20th IEEE Signal Processing and Communication Application Conference (SIU), pp. 1-4, 2012.
- Sinem Aslan, Yigit Uzer, Orhan Isik, Melih Altun, Muhammed Cinsdikici, A simple and improvable method for face region extraction , 23rd Int. Symp. on Computer and Information Sciences (ISCIS), 2008.
- Sinem Aslan, E. Turhan Tunalı, Muhammed Cinsdikici, A Comparative Study of Feature Metrics for Classification of Human Passport Photos, 15th IEEE Signal Processing and Communication Application Conference (SIU), pp. 1-4, 2007.
I am a reviewer for the following journals:
- IEEE Transactions on Image Processing
- Springer, Multimedia Tools and Applications
- Springer, Pattern Analysis and Applications
- Springer, Signal, Image and Video Processing
- IET Image Processing
- IET Computer Vision
- Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences
Drawn by me
Charcoal (Oct. 2009).
Charcoal (May. 2009).
Girl Before a Mirror
My Picasso Reproduction (May.2010), acrylic. The original is at link
Prades, the Village
My Miro Reproduction (March.2010), acrylic. The original is at link
My interpretation of a painting originally belonging to Leonid Afremov (March.2009).
A reproduction from a web site.
An Abbott Thayer reproduction, oil painting (unfinished).
Uluslararası Bilgisayar Enstitüsü
Android Lab. No: 216
35100 Bornova/Izmir, Turkey